Paul Gerhardt Leonard
March 14, 1928 – December 26, 2018
Paul Gerhardt Leonard, age 90, of Hickory, NC, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, December 26, 2018 at his residence. Born March 14, 1928, in Catawba County, NC, he was the son of the late Vernon Olin Leonard and Augusta Caroline Kyaw Leonard.
Paul was a lifelong member of Grace Lutheran Church in Newton, NC. He had retired from the construction industry as a pipe insulator and was a veteran of the US Army. Paul enjoyed working in his yard, farming, and helping family and friends. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife of 58 years, Grace Keisler Leonard; infant daughter, Paulette Leonard; brothers, Olin Leonard, Belk Leonard, and Eli Leonard; sisters, Elizabeth L. Stahl and Charlotte L. Seagle; son-in-law, William “Bill” Buffington.
Those left to cherish his memory are his daughter, Joyce Buffington of Conover, NC; sons, Dennis Leonard and wife Nancy of Hickory, NC, and Allen Leonard and wife Trudy of Hickory, NC; grandchildren, Stephanie Russell and husband Chad, Aeron Leonard, Jennifer Leonard, Bradley Misenheimer and wife Heather, and Stacy Smith and husband Ashley; great-grandchildren, Kaitlyn, Sarah, Mattie, Lily, McKenna, Allison, and Haley; and sister-in-law, Rachel Keisler of Morganton, NC.
The funeral service will be held at 3:30 PM on Saturday, December 29, 2018, at Grace Lutheran Church with Rev. Dr. Gil Gilbert and Rev. Dr. Nancy Carol Stahl officiating. The family will receive friends at the church prior to the service from 2:15 to 3:15 PM on Saturday. The burial will follow in the church cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial contributions be made to Grace Lutheran Church, 4536 Hickory-Lincolnton Hwy, Newton, NC, 28658.
Condolences may be sent to the Leonard family at www.drumfh-conover.com.
The Leonard family has entrusted funeral arrangements to Drum Funeral Home & Cremations in Conover.
- Vernon Olin Leonard, Father
- Augusta Caroline Kyaw Leonard, Mother
- Grace Keisler Leonard, Wife of 58 years
- Paulette Leonard, Infant Daughter
- Joyce Buffington, Daughter
- Dennis Leonard and wife, Nancy, Son
- Allen Leonard and wife, Trudy, Son
- William "Bill" Buffington, Son-in-law
- Olin Leonard, Brother
- Belk Leonard, Brother
- Eli Leonard, Brother
- Elizabeth L. Stahl, Sister
- Charlotte L. Seagle, Sister
- Rachel Keisler, Sister-in-law
- Stephanie Russell and husband, Chad, Grandchild
- Aeron Leonard, Grandchild
- Jennifer Leonard, Grandchild
- Bradley Misenheimer and wife, Heather, Grandchild
- Stacy Smith and husband, Ashley, Grandchild
- Great-Grandchildren, Kaitlyn, Sarah, Mattie, Lily, McKenna, Allison and Haley
- Receiving of Friends Saturday, December 29, 2018
- Funeral Service Saturday, December 29, 2018
Paul Gerhardt Leonard
January 2, 2019
Our family was sad to learn of your dad’s passing. The loss of your father must be very difficult, but even more so during the holiday season. Please know that you and your family are in our prayers. We know that people of faith have a reunion in heaven to look forward to, but that knowledge does not take away our sadness at losing someone so dear! Wishing you strength and faith in the new year!