Robert Andrew "R. A." Mahaffey Jr.
July 1, 1932 – October 6, 2019
Robert Andrew Mahaffey, Jr. was born July 1, 1932 to Robert Sr. and Jessie Mahaffey in Barnes, Texas. Born into a large family during the Great Depression, Robert (“R.A.”) learned the value of hard work from an early age. The Mahaffey family subsisted on crops and livestock that they raised, and as R.A. often mentioned to his kids, “Christmas gifts usually consisted of an apple and a pair of socks. We didn’t have much, but we knew what respect and love for each other was.” R.A. was blessed with a beautiful singing voice and talent for playing guitar, and he nurtured and developed that talent throughout his youth and into adulthood, eventually organizing his wife and five children into a sought-after Christian singing group, well-known throughout Montgomery County and beyond.
During the Korean War, R.A. answered the call to serve his country and joined the U.S. Army. He was a patriot and committed to American ideals and values; he believed in honoring the flag and being a diligent, law-abiding citizen. One of R.A.’s favorite celebrations was the annual patriotic service at Mims Baptist Church. He proudly put on the old Army uniform and stood tall among the veterans as they were called out in the church service, his back straight, head up, chest out, eyes bright and his contagious smile beaming with American pride.
Most importantly, R.A. Mahaffey was devoted to his Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. He walked the walk of faith and kept his eyes on the “…prize of the high calling in Christ Jesus.” He eagerly shared the Gospel with strangers and acquaintances, wanting no one to miss the chance to receive eternal life through faith in Christ. His love for the Lord and love for his family were born out of the same heart and passion instilled in him through the grace of God.
R.A. was preceded in death by his loving wife of 62 years, Audrey Laverne Mahaffey, his parents, daughter Charlotte Mahaffey Mims, Granddaughter Laura Mims, and son-in-law Walter H. Lumpkin, Sisters Margie McQueen, Virginia Hill, Bonnie Tuma, Brothers Raymond Mahaffey, William Mahaffey, and Lloyd Mahaffey.
Robert is survived by his children Carol Mahaffey Lumpkin Merillat and husband, A.P., Darlene Mahaffey Carter and husband Tom, Gary Mahaffey and wife Gail, Marc Mahaffey and wife Denise, grandchildren, April Hunter and husband Chad, Ryan Lumpkin and wife Maryam, Jason Lumpkin and wife Michelle, Christopher Mahaffey and wife Jacalyn, Derek Mahaffey, Andrew Mahaffey, Matt Carter, Leah Carter Adair and husband Mitchell, Hannah Carter Robinson and husband Nolan, great grandchildren, Bishop, Aven, and Ronin Lumpkin, Grant Adair, Claire and Kate Mahaffey, Colin Lumpkin, and Laurel Hunter, brother Larry Mahaffey, and sisters Barbara Mahaffey Johnson, Francis Mahaffey Worsham and Patricia Mahaffey Miller.
A visitation service will be held on Wednesday, October 9, 2019, from 6:00PM to 8:00PM at Cashner Funeral Home Colonial Chapel, 801 Teas Road, Conroe, Texas 77303. A Celebration of R. A.'s life will be held on Thursday, October 10, 2019, in Cashner Colonial Chapel, at 10:00AM. Interment service will follow at 2:00PM at the Mahaffey Cemetery, near Chester, Texas. Please see our website at www.cashnerconroe.com to leave written condolences for the family.
- Carol Mahaffey Lumpkin Merillat and husband A. P., Daughter and Son-in-law
- Darlene Mahaffey Carter and husband Tom, Daughter and Son-in-law
- Gary Mahaffey and wife Gail, Son and Daughter-in-law
- Marc Mahaffey and wife Denise, Son and Daughter-in-law
- April Mims Hunter and husband Chad, Grandchild
- Ryan Lumpkin and wife Maryam, Grandchild
- Jason Lumpkin and wife Michelle, Grandchild
- Christopher Mahaffey and wife Jacalyn, Grandchild
- Derek Mahaffey, Grandchild
- Andrew Mahaffey, Grandchild
- Matt Carter, Grandchild
- Leah Carter Adair and husband Mitchell, Grandchild
- Hannah Carter Robinson and husband Nolan, Grandchild
- Bishop Lumpkin, Great Grandchild
- Aven Lumpkin, Great Grandchild
- Ronin Lumpkin, Great Grandchild
- Grant Adair, Great Grandchild
- Claire Mahaffey, Great Grandchild
- Kate Mahaffey, Great Grandchild
- Colin Lumpkin, Great Grandchild
- Laurel Hunter, Great Grandchild
- Larry Mahaffey, Brother
- Barbara Mahaffey Johnson, Sister
- Francis Mahaffey Worsham, Sister
- Patricia Mahaffey Miller, Sister
- Audrey Laverne Mahaffey, Loving wife of 63 years (deceased)
- Robert Sr. and wife Jessie Tyler Mahaffey, Parents (deceased)
- Charlotte Mahaffey Mims, Daughter (deceased)
- Laura Nicole Mims, Granddaughter (deceased)
- Dr. Walter H. Lumpkin, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Margie Mahaffey McQueen, Sister (deceased)
- Virginia Mahaffey Hill, Sister (deceased)
- Bonnie Mahaffey Tuma, Sister (deceased)
- Raymond Mahaffey, Brother (deceased)
- William Mahaffey, Brother (deceased)
- Lloyd Mahaffey, Brother (deceased)
- Numerous nieces, nephews, other relatives and a host of friends.
- Ryan Lumpkin
- Jason Lumpkin
- Christopher Mahaffey
- Derek Mahaffey
- Andrew Mahaffey
- Matthew Carter
- Eugene Wisenbaker, Honorary
- Douglas Cook, Honorary
- Visitation Wednesday, October 9, 2019
- Celebration of Life Thursday, October 10, 2019
Robert Andrew "R. A." Mahaffey Jr.
October 9, 2019
I met Mr Mahaffey while walking my Grandaughter home after school he asked me if I was a Christian and I said yes. We stopped by as often as we could he would be outside waiting. My granddaughters loved visiting him they would listen to him sing and run around the couches. He will be missed by us.