Beverly Joan Downing
March 24, 1935 – March 31, 2018
Beverly Joan (Stapelkamp) Downing, 83, of Carrolton, TX, and formerly of Eugene, OR, and the Rochester, MN, area, passed away in her home surrounded by her loved ones on Saturday, March 31, 2018, after a courageous battle with cancer.
Bev was born on March 24, 1935, in Harmony, MN, to George and Winnie Staplekamp. On May 27, 1994, after a whirlwind online romance, Beverly was married to Sanford Downing of Eugene, OR, who loved and cared for her in her final years.
Bev was a professional photographer and businesswoman who made a huge impact on the growing photography scene of the 1970s, 80s, and 90s in southeast Minnesota. Beverly was known for her marvelous cooking and excellent skills with yarn and fabric. She could make nearly anything with a needle and thread or ball of yarn and she regularly inspired her family and friends with her gifts from the heart.
Beverly was preceded in death by her parents, sons Mark and Jeffery, and her first three husbands, Jerome Asleson, Marlon Decker, and Richard Burbank.
To cherish her memory, Bev is survived by her husband, Sanford, and her children from her marriage to Jerome Asleson: Sheila & Gerry Solberg of Davenport, FL, Glenda Bulger & Doug Jacobs of Plano, TX, Karla & Tom Ristow, of La Crosse, WI, and her son from her marriage to Marlon Decker: Mathew & Melissa Decker of Frisco, TX. Additionally, she is survived by daughter-in-law Sandra Asleson, son-in-law, Robert Bulger, and step-children Doug & Karen Downing of Overland Park, KS, and Jim & Glenda Downing of Eugene, OR.
Beverly had several beloved grandchildren and step-grandchildren: Jennifer (LaMont) Starch, Mark (Terry) Asleson, Heather (fiancee, Stephany Haebig-Harp) Asleson, Stephanie (fiancee, Michael Guziejka) Bulger, Julia (Jeremy) Barton, Allison Bulger, Natalie (fiancee, Ryan Mattingly) Bulger, Anna Bulger, Madison Decker, Morgan Decker, Drew & Kellen Downing, Kelsey Downing, Kimberly Downing, Jessica Downing, and Jennifer Downing.
Further, Bev is also survived by 10 great grandchildren: Andrew, Rachel, Jax (Hallie), Emma, Brooke, Jaeden, Lauren, Brennen, Alora, and Chayce. Additionally, she is survived her sister, Lorraine (Jerry) Daly of Rochester, MN, and brother Wayne (Evelyn) Stapelkamp of Cresco, IA, as well as three beloved nephews and their families: Brian Stapelkamp, Neal Stapelkamp, and Eric Stapelkamp.
A memorial service will take place on Monday, July 9, 2018, 2:00 p.m. at Greenleafton Reformed Church in rural Preston, MN (15502 County 9, Preston, MN 55965 in rural Preston, MN). Inurnment will follow in Greenleafton Cemetery.
Those wishing to send condolences or sign the online guestbook may visit www.teddickeywestfuneral.com.
- Winifred Clarice Staplekamp, Mother
- George Francis Staplekamp, Father
- Sanford Downing, Husband
- Jerome Asleson, First Husband
- Marlon Decker, Second Husband
- Richard Burbank, Third Husband
- Jeffrey Jerome Asleson, Son
- Sheila Rae Solberg, Daughter
- Glenda Sue Bulger, Daughter
- Karla Deane Ristow, Daughter
- Mark Asleson, Son
- Matthew Scott Decker, Son
- Douglas Downing, Step-Son
- James Downing, Step-Son
- Sandra "Sandy" Asleson, Daughter-In-Law
- Gerry Solberg, Son-In-Law
- Doug Jacobs, Son-In-Law
- Tom Ristow, Son-In-Law
- Melissa Decker, Daughter-In-Law
- Karen Downing, Daughter-in-law
- Glenda Downing, Daughter-in-law
- Jennifer Starch, Granddaughter
- Mark Asleson, Grandson
- Heather Asleson, Granddaughter
- Stephanie Bulger, Granddaughter
- Julia Barton, Granddaughter
- Allison Bulger, Granddaughter
- Natalie Bulger, Granddaughter
- Anna Bulger, Granddaughter
- Madison Decker, Granddaughter
- Morgan Decker, Granddaughter
- Andrew "Drew" Downing, Grandson
- Kellen Downing, Grandson
- Kelsey Downing, Granddaughter
- Kimberly Downing, Granddaughter
- Jessica Downing, Granddaughter
- Jennifer Downing, Granddaughter
- LaMont Starch, Grandson-In-Law
- Terry Asleson, Granddaughter-In-Law
- Stephany Haebig-Harp, Granddaughter-In-Law
- Michael Guziejka, Grandson-In-Law
- Jeremy Barton, Grandson-In-Law
- Ryan Mattingly, Grandson-In-Law
- Lorraine Daly, Sister
- Wayne Stapelkamp, Brother
- Jerry Daly, Brother-In-Law
- Evelyn Stapelkamp, Sister-In-Law
- Brian Stapelkamp, Nephew
- Neal Stapelkamp, Nephew
- Eric Stapelkamp, Nephew
- Jane Stapelkamp, Grandmother
- George H Stapelkamp, Grandfather
- Cythnia Nagel, Grandmother
- William Nagel, Grandfather
- Mrs. Downing also leaves behind ten great-grandchildren: Andrew, Rachel, Jax (Hallie), Emma, Brooke, Jaeden, Lauren, Brennen, Alora, and Chayce, as well as her three beloved nephews' families, extended family and friends to cherish her memory
- Memorial Service Monday, July 9, 2018