William Gary Long
September 28, 1941 – October 26, 2018
William Gary Long, born September 28, 1941 in Knoxville, Tennessee, passed away Friday, October 26, 2018, at the Veterans Administration Community Living Center in Johnson City.
He had served 20 years in the U. S. Army (May 1963 – September 1983), retiring with the rank of Sargent First Class.
Survivors include an aunt: Mary Morris of Knoxville; nephew: Dr. Min Kang; several cousins; adopted by heart family members: Barbara and DeWitt Backus; grandchildren: Dwight Backus, Jerry and Cassaundra Backus, Charlie and Makalla Backus; and great grandchildren: Brendyn, Scarlett, Dwight, Jr., Dominic, Abel, Aiden, Keira and Arhianna (Miss Hollywood).
He was preceded in death by his wife, Suk Cha Long; a daughter, Baby Long; father, Thomas William Long; mother, Isabel Morris Long; and stepmother, Margaret Long.
A graveside service will be held at 2 pm Thursday at Andrew Johnson National Cemetery with his special friend, Douglas Backus, Jr. officiating. The Greene County Honor Guard and the Tennessee National Guard will conduct a military graveside service. Family and friends are asked to meet at the cemetery Thursday for the graveside service.
Pallbearers will be Dwight Backus, Jerry Backus, Charlie Backus, DeWitt Backus, Johnathan Morgan and Jeff Rutter.
- Mary Morris, Aunt
- Dr. Min Kang, Nephew
- Barbara and DeWitt Backus, Heart Family Members
- Dwight Backus, Grandchild
- Jerry and Cassaundra Backus, Grandchildren
- Charlie and Makalla Backus, Grandchidren
- Brendyn, Scarlett, Dwight Jr., Dominic, Abel, Aiden, Keira, and Arhianna (Miss Hollywood), Great Grandchldren
- Suk Cha Long, Wife
- Baby Long, Daughter
- Thomas William Long, Father
- Isabel Morris Long, Mother
- Margaret Long, Step-Mother
- He also leaves several cousins to cherish his memory.
- Graveside Service Thursday, November 1, 2018
William Gary Long
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY