Chattanooga Funeral Home, Crematory & Florist-North Chapel and Hamilton Memorial Gardens
5401 Highway 153, Hixson, TN
Jean Durham Wagner
February 16, 1927 – January 12, 2020
Jean Durham Wagner, age 92, formerly of Chattanooga, passed away on Sunday, January 12, 2020 in Memphis, Tennessee.
Jean grew up in Whitwell, Tennessee. She then moved with her family to Chattanooga while in high school and graduated from Central High School in 1945. Jean was proud to be married to her late husband, Kelly for 55 years. Kelly was president of Wagner Freight Lines, Inc. which was founded in 1928 by his father. She was a longtime member of First Baptist Church, Golden Gateway. She taught a children’s Sunday school class for many years and was a proud member of the Seekers Sunday School Class. She lived in Chattanooga until 2011 when she moved to Memphis to be with her daughter.
She was also preceded in death by her mother, Elna Durham, and father, Luke Durham; her three sisters and brothers-in-law, Bernice and Ken Harris, Katherine and Vernon Sando, and Mary Ellen and Roy Smith.
Jean is survived by her daughter, Karen Buckner, and husband Tom of Memphis; grandchildren, Kelly Dallas and husband, Jason of Memphis, Susan Rose and husband, Cullen of Menlo Park, California, and Sam Buckner and wife, Collin of Memphis; 7 great grandchildren, Mae, Julia, and John Dallas, Finley and Hayes Rose, Anne and Jack Buckner; many nieces and nephews.
The family will receive friends from 10 am to 11:30 am on Saturday, January 18, at McEwen Chapel, First Baptist Church Golden Gateway, 401 Gateway Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37402.
A Celebration of Jean’s life will follow at 11:30 am on Saturday, at McEwen Chapel, First Baptist Church Golden Gateway with Dr. Thomas Quisenberry officiating. Entombment will be in Hamilton Memorial Gardens.
Memorial contributions may be made in Jean’s name to First Baptist Church, Golden Gateway.
Arrangements are by the North Chapel of Chattanooga Funeral Home, Crematory and Florist, 5401 Highway 153, Hixson, TN 37343.
- Karen Buckner (Tom), Daughter
- Kelly Dallas (Jason), Granddaughter
- Susan Rose (Cullen), Granddaughter
- Sam Buckner (Collin), Grandson
- Mae, Julia, and John Dallas, Great Grandchildren
- Finley and Hayes Rose, Great Grandchildren
- Anne and jack Buckner, Great Grandchildren
- Kelly Wagner, Husband of 55 years (deceased)
- Elna Durham, Mother (deceased)
- Luke Durham, Father (deceased)
- Bernice Harris (Ken), Sister (deceased)
- Katherine Sando (Vernon), Sister (deceased)
- Mary Ellen Smith (Roy), Sister (deceased)
- Mrs. Wagner is also survived by many nieces and nephews.
First Baptist Church, Golden Gateway
401 Gateway Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37402
- Visitation Saturday, January 18, 2020
- A Celebration of Life Saturday, January 18, 2020
Jean Durham Wagner
January 18, 2020
Charlene and I were saddened to learn of the death of your Mother and wanted to send you this note of condolence. While it is never easy to say good by to a parent, you can be grateful that she had a very long and productive life.
We will surely keep you and your family in our prayers as you grieve for your loss.
Charlene and Jim Collier