Doris Thomas Wesley
March 31, 1938 – October 20, 2018
Doris Annette Thomas Wesley was born to the late Ruth Ola Thomas and Garfield Tarrant on March 31, 1938 in Birmingham, Alabama. Although her parents were deceased at a very young age, she was fortunate to have been raised and influenced by her grandmothers, Nettie C. Thomas and Georgia Mae Rembert, uncle Lonnie Larriett and surrogate parents, James and Katherine Benn.
After graduating from Dunbar High school in 1954, she received a diploma in Secretarial Science from Booker T. Washington Business College in Birmingham, Alabama in 1960. Doris continued her higher education pursuits in Northern Alabama – she graduated from Athens State University in 1979 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration and from Alabama A&M University in 1981 with a Masters of Business Administration with a concentration in finance.
Following her move to Huntsville, Alabama, Doris was united in holy matrimony to Harden Randolph Wesley on October 29, 1966. She and her husband were aligned in the Christian faith and were lifelong members of Holy Cross-St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church. They were blessed with two daughters – Sharon and Crystal Wesley. During her tenure, at Holy Cross-St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church, Doris served as a Lay Eucharist Minister for several years as well as participating on the Altar Guild and the Vestry.
Although Doris expressed an interest in the arts at a young age and had many unique capabilities, she enjoyed a very long and successful career in business. She co-managed and operated her own business, Wesley Cleaning Services, formerly Diamond Housekeeping, until 2011. And, she completed the majority of her professional career at Alabama A&M University. She worked in increasing roles of responsibility, including university registrar, until she retired in 1997 after 36 years of dedicated service.
Likewise, Doris contributed time and service to many civic pursuits. She was initiated in 1987 and was an active member of the Huntsville Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta sorority - she served on various committees that provided time, guidance and financial resources to youth and other deserving individuals in the Huntsville community. Namely, she worked with the Delta G.E.M.S. and Delta Academy. She also volunteered time with HELPline and other local charities. In her leisure time, Doris spent gardening, landscaping, walking her dear canine companion Bailey, spending time with her family and enjoying being a Delta Dear.
God called Doris to eternal peace on October 20th. She leaves to celebrate her life and cherish her memories: daughters, Sharon Wesley (Jeanette), Atlanta, GA and Crystal Wesley, Madison, AL; brother, James Fredrick Benn (Cindy), Kansas City, MI; sister, Jacquelyn Benn Langford (Demetrius), Suffolk, VA; sister-in-law, Ethel Grace Wesley Hightower , Chicago, IL; brothers-in-law: Edward Wesley and Archie Wesley, Sr. (Shirley), Talladega, AL; Warren Wesley, Atlanta, GA; Clyde Wesley, Brooklyn, NY; and Olan Louis Wesley (Alma), Montgomery, AL; nieces and nephews and countless relatives and friends.
The family of Doris Thomas Wesley wishes to express sincere gratitude for the kind and caring support and declarations of love and sympathy from many friends and church members.
In lieu of flowers, the family of Doris Thomas Wesley requests the submittal of memorials in her name to the following:
Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation 383 Main Avenue 5th Floor Norwalk, CT 06851 (203) 229-0464 themmrf.org/donatenow
- Ruth Ola Thomas and Garfield Tarrant, Parents - Deceased
- Nettie C. Thomas and Georgia Mae Rembert, Grandmothers - Deceased
- James and Katherine Benn, Surrogate Parents - Deceased
- Lonnie Larriett, Uncle - Deceased
- Harden Randolph Wesley, Husband - Deceased
- Sharon Wesley (Jeanette), Daughter
- Crystal Wesley, Daughter
- James Frederick Benn (Cindy), Brother
- Jacquelyn Benn Langford (Demetrius), Sister
- Ethel Grace Wesley Hightower, Sister-in-Law
- Freddie Larriett, Cousin
- James Larriett, Cousin
- Edward Wesley, Brother-in-Law
- Archie Wesley (Shirley) Sr., Brother-in-Law
- Warren Wesley, Brother-in-Law
- Clyde Wesley, Brother-in-Law
- Olan Louis Wesley (Alma), Brother-in-Law
- Nieces and nephews, countless relatives and friends
- Demetrius Langford, Active Pallbearer
- Freddie Larriett, Active Pallbearer
- Clyde Wesley, Active Pallbearer
- Edward Wesley, Active Pallbearer
- Olan Louis Wesley, Active Pallbearer
- Warren Wesley, Active Pallbearer
- James Larriett, Honorary Pallbearer
- Archie Wesley, Sr., Honorary Pallbearer
- Delta Sigma Theta, Honorary Flower Bearers
- Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
- Visitation Thursday, November 1, 2018
- Celebration of Life Service Friday, November 2, 2018
Doris Thomas Wesley
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
January 2, 2019
She was a lovely person. we will miss seeing her walk her dogs everyday, they were her pets.
Dr. Freddie & Gaynell Stewart
October 28, 2018
It is with heartfelt condolence that Gaynell and I express to Sharon, Crystal and the Thomas family on the transitioning of Doris into the bosom of
the heavenly father. Doris was truly a blessing in having knowing her as a family friend and professional at AAMU and the Huntsville community.
October 26, 2018
I’ve known Mrs. Wesley for many, many years. I don’ t have anything specific to say, just that I love Ms. Doris very much and will miss her greatly.