Mrs. Elsie Ellingsen
July 8, 1922 – February 5, 2019
Elsie Merritt Ellingsen began her journey in Abbeville, Alabama on Saturday, July 8, 1922. She was one of five children born to David Merritt and Mary Flemming Merritt, who preceded her in death. Mrs. Ellingsen’s journey ended in Huntsville, Alabama on Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at the age of 96.
Mrs. Ellingsen was a Contractor with the Federal Government, disassembling and salvaging airplane parts during World War II. While on assignment in Hawaii, she met and married the love of her life, Francis Howard Ellingsen and to this union two sons were born. Mr. Ellingsen was a Civil Service employee. Their careers required them to travel to many places, Miami, Florida, Ft. Wayne, Indiana, Shelby, Ohio and finally to Huntsville, Alabama.
In addition to Mrs. Ellingsen’s parents, she was preceded in death by her loving husband, Francis Howard Ellingsen; sister, Opie Broadhead; and brothers, Ralph Merritt and D.W. Merritt.
Mrs. Ellingsen is survived by her devoted sons, David C. Ellingsen (Elaine) and Kenneth S. Ellingsen; grandchildren, Jeffery Scott Ellingsen and Julie Lynn Ellingsen (Chuck Eckert); great grandchild, Leah LeeAnn Ellingsen; and sister, Jewel Plumb.
A Celebration of Life will be held at 12 noon, Saturday, February 9, 2019 at the chapel of Valhalla Funeral Home, with Bro. Billy Loveday officiating. Entombment will follow at Valhalla Memory Gardens. The family will receive friends from 11:00 a.m. until the hour of service on Saturday.
- David "Chris" (Elaine) Ellingsen, Son
- Kenneth "Ken" Ellingsen, Son
- Jeffery Scott Ellingsen, Grandson
- Julie Lynn (Chuck Eckert) Ellingsen, Granddaughter
- Leah LeeAnn Ellingsen, Great Granddaughter
- Jewel Plumb, Sister
- Mrs. Ellingsen was preceded in death by her parents, David Merritt and Mary Flemming Merritt; husband, Francis Howard Ellingsen; sister, Opie Broadhead; brothers, Ralph Merritt and D.W. Merritt.
- Mr. David C. Ellingsen, Active Bearer
- Mr. Kenneth S. Ellingsen, Active Bearer
- Mr. Chuck Eckert, Active Bearer
- Mr. Scott Phitzer, Active Bearer
- Mr. Warren Rutledge, Active Bearer
- Visitation Saturday, February 9, 2019
- Celebration of Life Saturday, February 9, 2019