Dale M. Chapman

July 29, 1927December 5, 2012
Play Tribute Movie Play Tribute Movie

Dale M. Chapman, born July 29 1927 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Passed away on December 5, 2012. Dale was a retired CFO while living in Hacienda Heights, California. Dale became a resident of Las Vegas Nevada in July of 2011. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Donna N. Chapman and his children Debra McCracken (Michael), Brian M. Chapman (Diane), Scott N. Chapman (Heather) and Carolyn C. Thomas (James), his brother Bud Chapman (Gayle), 17 Grandchildren and 28 Great Grandchildren. Funeral will be held at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 6601 Twain, Las Vegas, Nevada on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 11:00 a.m.

Arrangements under the direction of Palm South Jones Mortuary, Las Vegas, NV.


  • Visitation Tuesday, December 11, 2012
  • Funeral Service Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dale M. Chapman

have a memory or condolence to add?

Carolyn Hardy Escujuri

December 11, 2012

My good memories of Hacienda Heights are only complete with Dale Chapman and the Chapman family. I like to imagine my parents, Jay and Leah Hardy, being in line to greet him as he arrives in the Spirit World after a life well lived. My heart goes out to you as you say your good-byes.

Marc Lacey

December 10, 2012

Dear Donna,

After hearing about Dale's passing, my heart and mind were filled with memories of our time together in the Victorville 6th Ward. Please accept our love and condolences. Bishop was such a great example to all who knew and served with him. I wish I could be there in Las Vegas to support you during this time.

Please know that the Lacey's are thinking and praying for you and your family. Of course you are blessed with a knowledge of eternal families, which I hope brings great comfort during this time.

Warmest Regards.

Mike Buckhave

December 10, 2012


My heartfelt condolences to you and the entire family. Dale was a great man who was a wonderful example of spending one's life in the service of others. I am greatly blessed to have served along side him for many years in the Church and am a better person for having known him.

All my love and prayers go out to you and your family at this difficult time.

LaDawn LeGrande

December 9, 2012

Love the pictures, love the family. Learned a lot about Uncle Dale that I didn't know reading the obituary. I have fond memories of the many weekends and vacations spent with my other family! I love you all and my thoughts are with you. LaDawn

Steve Rubin

December 9, 2012

Dear Brian, Diane, Scott, Nathan, Shawn and all of your family and friends...deepest condolences to you on the passing of your patriarch and beloved Dale. Having known Brian for nine years, I feel like I've also known Dale, as I have a lot of respect and admiration for Brian and your whole family. Love to everyone from Dustin, Darius, Derrick, Lauren, Raymond, Zander, Rebecca and me.

Dee Richardson

December 8, 2012

Carolyn and Jim, you are in our thoughts and prayers. May you find peace in knowing he is no longer suffering. His spirit soars now and he is at peace.

Tom Mills

December 7, 2012

Donna, I have great memories of Dale. I am grateful for him and the eternal plan of happiness.


Visit to Indianapolis


Dale was born July 29th, 1927 in Salt Lake City Utah to Eldred Chapman and Berniece Ensign. He was the oldest of 4, and the first grandchild on both his mother's and dad's sides. Dales first memories were of his mother lying in bed with a baby on each side of her: twin brother and sister Ramon and Romona. The twins were followed by another little sister, Sandy. He and his brother, Ramon were quite close. Ramon was always his "little buddy" and the nickname stuck. He was from then on called Bud. During the depression his father Eldred played in orchestras and bands to raise money while they lived with his maternal grandparents and scrimped and saved. This sparked Dale's value and love of music.

Eldred worked as a traveling salesman, moving the family around frequently. By the 3rd grade, Dale had attended 5 schools in and around the Colorado and Utah area. By the start of World War 2, the family had made their way back to Salt Lake. He had intentions to enlist to serve in the military, but the pre-enlistment testing proved his eyesight was too bad. They feared he'd shoot the wrong side! Toward the end of high school, Dale wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life. He self taught and took lessons for piano, and his instructors suggested that after a few more years he'd be ready for Julliard. He practiced hard, playing for 4 hours a day. But the anxiety proved too much, he said his fingers turned to rubber and his mind went blank on the stage.

After graduating from South High School, Dale received the call for his mission to England. He sailed out on the Queen Elizabeth, amid rough waters and much seasickness. He was among the first group of missionaries into England after World War 2. Post-war England was in shambles: buildings falling down, things blown out, food rationed - he had to bring all his stuff with him (including much food and other supplies). Much of it got lost in the tangle of luggage unloaded from the ship.

During his time in England, Dale's sister Ramona passed away in Salt Lake during the Polio epidemic of 1947.

After 2 and a half years in Manchester, England, Dale sailed back to America on the Queen Mary and returned to Salt Lake, where he met his future bride. Donna had joined a chorus at the suggestion of her friend who assured her of the many cute missionaries there, and after practice one day (Independence Day, 1949) he introduced himself. He says that was the day he lost his independence. They married the month before she turned 19 after just 5 months of dating.

The newlyweds followed the family business back to California where Eldred worked for Packard Bell. It was in California where they welcomed their children, Debra and Brian. Packard Bell changed their territory of service, relocating the little family back to Salt Lake. To maintain their father-son working relationship after Packard Bell downsized, they left the company and began selling furniture together. Dale and Donna then welcomed three more children; Steven (who passed after just a few hours), Scott, and Carolyn.

In 1957, Dale's youngest sister Sandy passed away from complications from Down's syndrome.

In 1960, the furniture business began to dwindle and Dale found employment in accounting through the church, bringing them back to California. He spent the rest of his career in California working as the CFO at a public opinion polling company, where he met governor Reagan (later President Reagan). The polling company moved to DC after Reagan's inauguration, but to stay in California with his family Dale retired.

Throughout all of this, though, his first priority was his family. Upon Donna's retirement from the school district, they moved to Victorville, leaving Hacienda Heights after 29 years. Always an active member of the church, retirement allowed Dale more opportunities for service, as bishop of his ward in Victorville. After spending 21 years in Victorville, Dale's declining health prompted a moved to Las Vegas into assisted living, closer to family. They lived in Vegas for a year and a half before his passing, leaving behind his wife of 62 years, his brother Bud, 4 children, 17 grandchildren, and 28 great-grandchildren.