October 23, 1922 – March 31, 2019
Services for Cletus Russell, 96, of Huntington, will be held at 11:00 a.m. Friday, April 5, 2019, in the Gipson Funeral Home Chapel with Bro. M. H. Shubert and Bro. Randall McCoy officiating. Interment will follow in Huntington Oddfellow Cemetery.
Mr. Russell was born in Angelina County on October 23, 1922 to Joel W. Russell and Della Arnold Russell. He passed away March 31, 2019 in Lufkin.
A veteran of World War II, Mr. Russell served in the Air Force-Army from June 1943 until February 1946. He was an active outdoorsman who enjoyed hunting and fishing. Gardening was his pride and joy. He was a loving man who enjoyed spending time with his family. Mr. Russell was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Huntington.
He is survived by his wife of 74 years, Gladys Marie Armbrust Russell; daughter, Nancy Allen and husband Billy Ray; daughter, Janice Brooks; grandchildren, Steve Allen and wife Karen, Stacey Brooks and wife Sharon, and Monica Gilbert and husband Richard; great grandchildren, Chris Allen, Amber Jones and husband Leslie, Casey Brooks and wife Meranda, Morgan Milstead and husband Trent, Taylor Gilbert, and Lucas Gilbert; and great-great grandchildren, Adalyn Jones and Penelope Brooks.
Mr. Russell was preceded in death by his parents; three brothers; five sisters; and great-grandson, Jared Gilbert.
Pallbearers will be Steve Allen, Chris Allen, Stacey Brooks, Casey Brooks, Richard Gilbert and Lucas Gilbert. Honorary pallbearer will be Matthew Weir.
The family would like to thank Hospice in the Pines nurses Connie, Liz, Justina, Twin, Matt, and Dr. Koch for their care.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Mr. Russell’s memory may be made to Hospice in the Pines, 1504 W. Frank Avenue, Lufkin, TX 75904.
The family will receive friends from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thursday evening at the funeral home. Condolences may be offered at www.gipsonfuneralhome.com Services have been placed in the trust of Gipson Funeral Home.
- Gladys Russell, Wife
- Nancy Allen and husband Billy Ray, Daughter
- Janice Brooks, Daughter
- Steve Allen and wife Karen, Grandchild
- Stacey Brooks and wife Sharon, Grandchild
- Monica Gilbert and husband Richard, Grandchild
- Chris Allen, Great Grandchild
- Amber Jones and husband Leslie, Great Grandchild
- Casey Brooks and wife Meranda, Great Grandchild
- Morgan Milstead and husband Trent, Great Grandchild
- Taylor Gilbert, Great Grandchild
- Lucas Gilbert, Great Grandchild
- Adalyn Jones, Great Great Grandchild
- Penelope Brooks, Great Great Grandchild
- Joel L. Russell, Father
- Della Arnold Russell, Mother
- Jared Gilbert, Great Grandchild
- Mr. Russell was preceded in death by his parents, Della (Arnold) and Joel W. Russell; five sisters; and three brothers.
- Steve Allen, Active
- Chris Allen, Active
- Stacey Brooks, Active
- Casey Brooks, Active
- Richard Gilbert, Active
- Lucas Gilbert, Active
- Matthew Wier, Honorary
Hospice In The Pines
1201 W Frank Ave., Lufkin, Texas 75904
- Visitation Thursday, April 4, 2019
- Funeral Service Friday, April 5, 2019