Annie Joyce Fain
May 10, 1921 – May 8, 2021
Annie Margaret Joyce Fain, 99 years old, went to be with her Lord and Savior on May 8, 2021, in her home surrounded by family. She was born May 10, 1921, in Spencer, VA, to Arthur Raymond Joyce and Mary Bessie Koger Joyce. Annie spent her entire life in Spencer. She graduated from Spencer-Penn High School in 1940 as Salutatorian of her class and was a Lifetime Member of Spencer-Penn Centre.
Annie was employed by Jobbers Pants Factory, E. I. DuPont, and Dan River Mills.
She married her childhood sweetheart, Bronzie R. Fain, Sr. They were married for 69 years and raised five children: Brenda Hennis, Martha Stone, Libby (Howard) Bartholomay, Bonnie (Jesse) Roach, and Bronzie "B. R." (Chrissy) Fain, Jr.
Annie and Bronzie shared a love for antiques and became avid collectors. She was also an integral part of their successful construction business.
Annie adored her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Grandsons are: Stephen Patterson, Aaron Grogan, and Bronzie "Trey" Fain, III. The granddaughters are: Sarah Powers, Laura (Kerry) Besecker, Ginny Pickeral, and Bailey and Macy Calhoun. And Great-grandchildren are: Naomi and Carson Rhoads, Cole and Haley Shuler, and Caleb Pickeral and Kaydence "KK" Lemons.
Annie was an accomplished seamstress, tailor, quilter, and artist. She also loved working crossword puzzles and reading a good book.
As a teenager she gave her life to Christ and for over 70 years taught an adult Sunday School class at Old Well Christian Church where she was a member. She served in many roles at the church including being a deaconess and having a class named in her honor.
From age 65 to 80, Annie was a volunteer in the medical library at Memorial Hospital of Martinsville and Henry County. She was also a member of the Hospital Auxilary and served on its Board of Directors.
Annie was predeceased by her parents, her husband, brothers: Jim, Woot, Aubrey, Billy, Bobby, Douglas, and Donald Joyce; sisters: Lizzie Covington and Mary Craddock; and sons-in-law: Ron Hennis and Eddie Stone.
She is survived by all her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, a sister, Audrey Hoskins, a sister-in-law, Elva Gilley, and many nieces and nephews.
The Family would like to thank Dr. W. Benton "Ben" Lewis for his support and care. Also, thanks go to Mountain Valley Hospice for their care and to Linda Mattox, her friend, caregiver, and fellow church member.
Memorials may be made to Old Well Christian Church, P. O. Box 163, Spencer, VA 24165. Southern Area Agency on Aging, 204 Cleveland Ave., Martinsville, VA 24112. Mountain Valley Hospice and Palliative Care, 401 Technology Lane, Suite 200, Mt. Airy, NC 27030. A Celebration of Life service will be held Tuesday, May 11 at 2:00 PM at Old Well Christian Church, 110 Old Well Rd, Spencer, VA 24165 and will be officiated by Reverend Tim Mills and Reverend Roy Parker. Interment will follow in the church cemetery.
- Arthur Raymond Joyce, Father (deceased)
- Mary Bessie Koger Joyce, Mother (deceased)
- Bronzie R. Fain, Sr., Husband of 69 years (deceased)
- Jim Joyce, Brother (deceased)
- Woot Joyce, Brother (deceased)
- Aubrey Joyce, Brother (deceased)
- Billy Joyce, Brother (deceased)
- Bobby Joyce, Brother (deceased)
- Douglas Joyce, Brother (deceased)
- Donald Joyce, Brother (deceased)
- Lizzie Covington, Sister (deceased)
- Mary Craddock, Sister (deceased)
- Ron Hennis, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Eddie Stone, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Brenda Hennis, Daughter
- Martha Stone, Daughter
- Libby Bartholomay, Daughter
- Howard Bartholomay, Son-in-law
- Bonnie Roach, Daughter
- Jesse Roach, Son-in-law
- Bronzie "B.R." Fain, Jr., Son
- Chrissy Fain, Daughter-in-law
- Sarah Powers, Granddaughter
- Laura Besecker, Granddaughter
- Kerry Besecker, Laura's husband
- Ginny Pickeral, Granddaughter
- Bailey Calhoun, Granddaugher
- Macy Calhoun, Granddaughter
- Stephen Patterson, Grandson
- Aaron Grogan, Grandson
- Bronzie "Trey" Fain, III, Grandson
- Naomi Rhoads, Great Granddaughter
- Carson Rhoads, Great Granddaughter
- Cole Shuler, Great Grandson
- Haley Shuler, Great Granddaughter
- Caleb Pickeral, Great Grandson
- Kaydence "KK" Lemons, Great Granddaughter
- Audrey Hoskins, Sister
- Elva Gilley, Sister-in-law
- Mrs. Fain is also survived by numerous nieces and nephews.
- Clyde Joyce, Active
- Bill Fain, Active
- R.E. Turner, Active
- Larry Murphy, Active
- Scott Kallam, Active
- Ricky Rorrer, Active
Old Well Christian Church
P.O. Box 163, Spencer , Virginia 24165
Southern Area on Aging
204 Cleveland Avenue, Martinsville, Virginia 24112
Mountain Valley Hospice and Palliative Care
401 Technology Lane, Suite 200, Mt. Airy, North Carolina 27030
A Celebration of Life Service
Tuesday, May 11, 2021
Tuesday, May 11, 2021