Michael Wayne Mabes
June 15, 1954 – February 12, 2021
Michael (Mike) Wayne Mabes, 66, resident of Martinsville, VA passed away on Friday, February 12, 2021. He was born in Rockingham County, June 15, 1954 to the late Mr. & Mrs. Irvin J. (Dorothy) Mabes. In addition to his parents, he is preceded in death by his Sister, Janie Bailey and Brother, Will Mabes.
He is survived by his Son, Michael Mabes Jr. (Sylvia) of Eden, NC; Daughter, Jennifer Mabes Milligan (Dave) of Eden, NC; Sister, Lois Jones (Bud) of Eden, NC; Brother, Carl Mabes of Eden, NC; Sister-In-Law, Alexis Mabes of Bassett, VA; Grandson, Holden Mabes; also numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. He is also survived by his soul mate and life partner of 32 years, Glenda Hamby of Martinsville, VA; Her children, Joyce Skiles of Hamptonville, NC; Larry Hamby (Penny) of Hamptonville, NC; Lynn Gabel (Steve) of Henderson, NC.; Granddaughter, Jessica Kidd (Anthony); Grandson, Joshua Skiles (Leah); Grandson Justin Hamby; Granddaughter, Stevie Forrister (Garrett); Granddaughter Mayson Foster; Grandson, Hayden Foster; Great Granddaughters, Lillian Grace & Evelyn Faith Kidd.
In addition to the love for the Lord and his dear family, he especially enjoyed time spent outside. He was a lifelong farmer who planted tobacco and a vegetable garden on his homestead property in Eden, NC. He loved riding and working on his tractors. Mike always thought of others first by sharing his annual harvest with many friends and family. He was gentle, kind and truly loved by all. He retired after 34 years of service as a Roll-Off Truck Driver from Waste Management Industries with many Awards.
Due to inclement weather a walk thru visitation scheduled for Thursday night, February 18, 2021 at McKee-Stone Funeral Home has been cancelled.
A graveside service with COVID-19 restrictions will be held at 1pm on Friday, February 19, 2021 at Roselawn Burial Park with Pastor, Lewis Harris, First Baptist Church, Ridgeway, VA and Associate Pastor, TW Bailey (Mike’s Nephew), of Union Grove Baptist Church, Lexington, NC will both be officiating.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the First Baptist Church of Ridgeway, 15 Church Street, Ridgeway, VA 24148; Osborne Baptist Church, 326 E. Stadium Drive, Eden, NC 27288 or the American Cancer Society.
The family will receive friends at the home of his son, Michael Mabes, Jr.
- Irvin Mabes, Father (deceased)
- Dorothy Mabes, Mother (deceased)
- Janie Bailey, Sister (deceased)
- Will Mabes, Brother (deceased)
- Michael Mabes, Jr., Son
- Sylvia Mabes, Daughter-in-law
- Jennifer Mabes Milligan, Daughter
- Dave Milligan, Son-in-law
- Lois Jones, Sister
- Bud Jones, Brother-in-law
- Carl Mabes, Brother
- Alexis Mabes, Sister-in-law
- Holden Mabes, Grandson
- Glenda Hamby, Soul Mate and Life Partner for 32 years
- Joyce Skiles, Glenda's daughter
- Larry Hamby, Glenda's Son
- Penny Hamby, Glenda's daughter-in-law
- Lynn Gabel, Glenda's daughter
- Steve Gabel, Glenda's son-in-law
- Jessica Kidd, Glenda's granddaughter
- Anthony Kidd, Jessica's husband
- Joshua Skiles, Glenda's grandson
- Leah Skiles, Joshua's wife
- Justin Hamby, Glenda's grandson
- Stevie Forrister, Glenda's granddaughter
- Garrett Forrister, Stevie's husband
- Mayson Foster, Glenda's granddaughter
- Hayden Foster, Glenda's grandson
- Lillian Grace, Glenda's great granddaughter
- Evelyn Faith Kidd, Glenda's great granddaughter
- Mr. Mabes is also survived by numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.
- Josh Stiles, Active
- Justin Hamby, Active
- Anthony Kidd, Active
- Steve Gabel, Active
- Terry Bailey
- Chris Cain, Active
- Paul Stuart, Active
First Baptist Church of Ridgeway
15 Church Street, Ridgeway, Virginia 24148
Osborne Baptist Church
326 East Stadium Drive, Eden, North Carolina 27288
American Cancer Society
P.O. Box 3907, Martinsville, Virginia 24112
Friday, February 19, 2021
Floating Visitation for Thursday night has been cancelled due to inclement weather
Michael Wayne Mabes
February 16, 2021
So sorry to hear of Mike's passing. Always so nice and friendly. He and Glenda were great neighbors. My thoughts and prayers for Mike's family and friends!
February 16, 2021
Glenda, sorry to learn of the death of Mike. You have my deepest sympathy and pray that God will fill the void you have with His great love and peace. You will be in my prayers today and the days forward.
February 15, 2021
This picture of Mike captures his love for everyone and his happiness of being able to work in his garden. I have been fortunate in the past of his wonderful crops. He will be missed so much. Love and prayers for all the families.