Lake Lawn Metairie Funeral Home & Cemeteries

5100 Pontchartrain Blvd, New Orleans, LA


Samuel Theodore Alcus III

November 20, 1935March 16, 2020

Samuel Theodore Alcus, III of New Orleans passed away on Monday, March 16, at Touro Infirmary. We would prefer to think that "Teddy" took his boat out for a solo sail on Lake Pontchartrain that day. His three loving sons were fortunate enough to be on the dock to guide him out onto the waters he loved most.

Born at Touro in 1935, Ted Alcus was a native New Orleanian. He graduated from Isidore Newman High School in 1953 and attended Colgate University in New York for his freshman year of college. He then returned to finish his undergraduate studies at Tulane University, where he graduated in 1957 with a BA in History. He served two years in the U.S. Army before launching his career as a securities trader with Goldman, Sachs & Company in New York. He then returned to New Orleans for good, joining his father in the private investment firm, S.T. Alcus & Co. He went on to establish a career in numerous successful entrepreneurial ventures in Finance, Insurance and finally Oil and Gas. Over his 84 years, Ted was a loving husband, fantastic father and terrific friend to countless members of our community.

He was the son of S.T. Alcus Jr. (New Orleans) and Frances Fies Alcus (Birmingham AL). Ted and his sister Nancy Alcus Marshall, who sadly predeceased him in 1959, led an active and idyllic adolescence in Uptown New Orleans. In his Newman years, Ted pursued his interests in sports, drama, chorus and particularly enjoyed rebuilding sports cars as a hobby.

While working in New York, he met Alice Faye Harris of Los Angeles. The young couple were soon married and happily moved back to New Orleans. The Alcus's settled in Old Metairie where they started a family. Gregory Philip Alcus in 1961 (currently of Los Angeles, CA) and Henry Darren Alcus in 1963 (currently of Potomac, MD and married to Mary Patrice Alcus), both were born in the same Touro hospital as their father.

In 1969 Ted married Gwendolyn Fletcher of Tallahassee, FL and lived in Metairie. Ted's third son, Paul Stuart Alcus joined the family in 1971 (currently of El Segundo, CA and married to Maria Porta Alcus) and became the final member of Ted's sailing crew.

Ted had a great many friends from all backgrounds. He was an original 1967 Saints Season Ticket holder from their inaugural campaign at Tulane Stadium until today. Ted was a second-generation Tulane Sports Booster. He and his three boys rarely missed a Tulane home game. An enthusiastic outdoorsman, he greatly enjoyed all varieties of water sports and recreation. Fishing with his sons and numerous good friends and acquaintances, Ted helped fill many an ice chest as well as a couple of trophy cases. For over 20 years, he held the Virginia state sports fishing record for Blue Marlin caught unassisted with rod and reel (1971, 511 lbs!). Ted Alcus absolutely loved the Louisiana waters. He taught his sons to water-ski, sail, fish, and simply "handle a boat" in all conditions. This love for the waters was passed along to Ted from his father and then to his children and theirs. Ted’s first passion was as a sailor, even as the later years made each journey a bit tougher. He was always excited to share the magic that can be found on a day with a stiff breeze, warm sun and light chop on Lake Pontchartrain.

Ted was both socially and civically active. He participated in several formal and informal associations, clubs and organizations. He helped guide Isidore Newman School as a board member and parent from the 1960s to the 90’s and enthusiastically attended virtually every sporting event and performance of his three boys. He continued to attend Newman sporting events through this past football season. He was an original member of Pete Fountain’s Mardi Gras "Half-Fast Marching Club" in the 1960's. Since 1975 Ted was an active member of The Moosehead Lake Yacht Club (Maine), where he regularly spent his summers. In 1980 Ted joined his most beloved Mardi Gras Krewe and rode in its Friday night parade for 40 years. His last ride was incredibly this year. He also reigned as King of two other Carnival Krewes over the years. Recently, Ted rekindled his boyhood love for singing as a member of the Lambeth House Choir and enjoyed the camaraderie of the uptown Roundtable Club. For decades, he enjoyed the weekly lunch company of the very informal Friday lunch group at Pascal Manale’s and attending the Symphony and Tulane Lyric Theatre. And, he never missed a home Saints game! (And, no, the seats are not available!)

Ted was married for a final time in 2008 to Joy Ann Cuoco Rodick of New Orleans. They remained married until her untimely passing in 2015. In their years together, they enjoyed world travel, socializing, Mardi Gras and their ever-broadening coterie of friends. They weathered Katrina together in Maryland and returned to make their life and home near Bayou St. John. In 2017, Ted moved to Lambeth House, where he enjoyed spending time with so many close friends and acquaintances.

Ted Alcus will be cherished in memory by his sons, his extended loving family, his six adoring grandchildren (McKenzie, Zachary, Noah, Claire, Colin, and Sienna), a myriad of characters, cohorts, compatriots and friends, as well as his loyal companion dog Hendrix.

A private service was held at his family’s resting place at Lake Lawn Metairie on March 18. A memorial service to celebrate his life will be held this Fall. Remembrances in his name may be made to the Isidore Newman School.

Smooth sailing, Teddy. May the fairest of winds guide you now.


No services are scheduled at this time. Receive a notification when services are updated.


Samuel Theodore Alcus III

have a memory or condolence to add?

Dallas DeVore

March 23, 2020

Darren, Paul, & Greg,
I wanted to send my condolences to you and your families. I was very touched by the love and dedication the three of you had for your father. I’m glad to have met you all, though I wish it was under different circumstances. You guys will continue to be in my prayers as you navigate through this difficult time.
Dallas DeVore

Julius Hyman, Jr.

March 19, 2020

Teddy was a friend of mine and classmate at Newman School. After college, I moved to Los Angeles but visited New Orleans from time to time. One night in a restaurant, this heavy tall man recognized me and came over and started talking to me. After a few minutes, he said “You don’t know who I am, do you?” I acknowledged that in fact I did not. He announced that he was Teddy Alcus. Apparently, Teddy had continued growing taller and gaining weight after we graduated high school. I continued to see him from time to time when I visited New Orleans to visit my parents and to attend Newman reunions.

Later, Teddy gave me a call and said he was in Los Angeles. So we got together there and also a number of times thereafter when he was in town again.

My strongest memories of Teddy in high school are not the sort of thing to put in a memorial, but so be it.

When we were about 15 years old, Teddy urged me to come over to his house after school to play ball. We went into his back yard and I discovered that he had a lean, tan-colored cocker spaniel. I was impressed that his dog was running around and around the perimeter of the back yard. I had an overweight, black cocker myself, named Curly, so when I got home I tried to show Curley how to run abound the perimeter of my back yard. He would run with me for a few seconds and then lie down on the grass. I really coveted Teddy’s dog.

During our senior year, Teddy and I invested in an old black car - maybe a 1925 Ford. It ran pretty well and we took it out on the Airline highway and drove it around the city. After a few days, my father told me to get rid of it. My cousin, Freddy Gottesman, was in the insurance business and he told my father that there was no way we could get this old care insured. Therefore, it was a potentially large liability. So, I got Teddy to buy me out. I lost track of that car and I don’t know what ever happened to it.

ellen bayersdorfer

March 19, 2020

Teddy and I grew up together as children and went all thru Newman together. I remember the morning after graduation we decided to hoist "the heap" up the flag pole in front of school. Of course we didn't get far but as always Teddy was a good sport in being mischievous as I was. When I was engaged and home, Teddy took me to Ann Marie's deb party with Jane Bruce and Felice Perriallat. (Stanley was in Memphis working and we were getting married the next month), We ended up at Cafe du Monde where he ran a stop sign. Nobody was hurt but as the true gentleman he always was, he put the 3 of us in a cab and gave the driver money to get us home. The heap moniker was because of the jalopy he drove and was always willing to give rides to us. My sympathy to all of you. You,boys, I remember from Kennebec days as you were in some of our boys cabins and we used to see each other at visitors weekend. I too will miss him but will always have these memories of 84 years, Ellen Bayersdorfer.