Lester R. Minturn
January 27, 1926 – March 19, 2018
Lester R. Minturn, 92, Overland Park, KS passed away on Monday, March 19, 2018. Visitation will be from 6-8pm, Thursday, March 22nd at the McGilley & Hoge Chapel, 8024 Santa Fe Drive, Overland Park, KS. Funeral services will be 9:30 am, Friday, March 23rd at Bethany Lutheran Church, 9101 Lamar Avenue, Overland Park, KS followed by burial in Pleasant Valley Cemetery.
Lester was born on January 27, 1926 in Kansas City, MO. He attended Rosedale High School until leaving for the Merchant Marines, during WWII. When he returned, he worked construction until joining the UAW, where he worked at GM Fairfax until his retirement in 1979. Lester was a lifelong KC Chiefs fan, serving as a Red Coater for over 30 years and he was a Jayhawk fan until the end.
Lester was preceded in death by his wife, Norma Jean Metcalf; wife, Mathalee Minturn; and grandson, Christopher Maurer. He is survived by his sister, Mary Townsend; his children, Roberta Ashby (Clint), Regina Minturn, Sherry Grandon (Greg), Rhonda Gazaway (Dan), Sam Maurer (Patrice), Joanna Hadle (Ross), and Beth Vernon (Eric); 14 grandchildren; many great grandchildren and great great grandchildren; as well as his extended Ethiopian family of Mulu and Assefa Alemu.
- Norma Jean Metcalf, Wife
- Mathalee Minturn, Wife
- Christopher Maurer, Grandson
- Mary Townsend, Sister
- Roberta Ashby and her husband, Clint, Daughter
- Regina Minturn, Daughter
- Sherry Grandon and her husband, Greg, Daughter
- Rhonda Gazaway and her husband, Dan, Daughter
- Sam Maurer and his wife, Patrice, Son
- Joanna Hadle and her husband, Ross, Daughter
- Beth Vernon and her husband, Eric, Daughter
- Lester is also survived by 14 grandchildren; many great grandchildren and great great grandchildren; as well as his extended Ethiopian family of Mulu and Assefa Alemu.
- Visitation Thursday, March 22, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, March 23, 2018
- Burial Friday, March 23, 2018
Lester R. Minturn
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY