October 13, 1928 – January 17, 2019
October 13, 1928 - January 17, 2019
Richard Rusnak of Overland Park, KS, born October 13, 1928 in Kansas City, KS died peacefully at home in The Atriums on January 17th.
Richard graduated from Bishop Ward High School. He enlisted in the U.S. Army and in 1950, went to the Quarter Master’s School in Darmstadt, Germany. Months later, he met Gerda, the love of his life! In August 1953, they married in Canada and moved to Kansas City to spend 65 years together.
Richard worked for the U.S. Post Office and as an independent painter and roofer. He was a man of character, who always put family first. He loved his five daughters and adored his sons-in-law, grandkids and great grandkids.
He was a loyal, often loud, fan at all the kids’ school and sports activities. He loved to compete in Wii bowling, golf, card games, and puzzles.
Richard never met a stranger.
Richard was preceded in death by his parents, John and Mary Rusnak; his brothers, John, Joe, Mike, Frank, George, Chuck; and his sister, Terry Blake.
Beloved survivors include his wife, Gerda Straube Rusnak; daughters, Linda White (Johnny), Nancy Bay (Dennis), Kathe Rusnak, Julie Bolton (Mike), Susan Raimo (Mike); brother, Louie Rusnak; grandchildren, Melissa Collier (James), Eric White (Angie), Justin White, Kayla Smith (Nicole), Mark Hutcherson (Laurie), Jessica Hutcherson, Danielle Wagner (Brent), Becca Ciaffone (Chris), Alec Bolton, Marisa Raimo, Nina Raimo, Nicholas Raimo; and his great-grandchildren, Max, Ella, Kenyon, Jada, Rayna, Hannah, Noah, Carter, Marin, Carson.
Memorial Mass at 10am, January 27th, at The Atriums, 7300 W. 107 St., Overland Park, KS 66212. Donations can be made to St. Luke’s Hospice.
- John and Mary Rusnak, Parents
- John Rusnak, Brother
- Joe Rusnak, Brother
- Mike Rusnak, Brother
- Frank Rusnak, Brother
- George Rusnak, Brother
- Chuck Rusnak, Brother
- Terry Blake, Sister
- Gerda Straube Rusnak, Wife
- Linda White (Johnny), Daughter
- Nancy Bay (Dennis), Daughter
- Kathe Rusnak, Daughter
- Julie Bolton (Mike), Daughter
- Susan Raimo (Mike), Daughter
- Louie Rusnak, Brother
- Melissa Collier (James), Grandchild
- Eric White (Angie), Grandchild
- Justin White, Grandchild
- Kayla Smith (Nicole), Grandchild
- Mark Hutcherson (Laurie), Grandchild
- Jessica Hutcherson, Grandchild
- Danielle Wagner (Brent), Grandchild
- Becca Ciaffone (Chris), Grandchild
- Alec Bolton, Grandchild
- Marisa Raimo, Grandchild
- Nina Raimo, Grandchild
- Nicholas Raimo, Grandchild
- Richard also leaves behind great grandchildren, Max, Ella, Kenyon, Jada, Rayna, Hannah, Noah, Carter, Marin and Carson to cherish his memory.
Saint Luke's Home Care & Hospice
C/O Saint Luke's Foundation 4225 Baltimore Avenue , Kansas City, Missouri 64111-2304
- Memorial Mass Sunday, January 27, 2019