Katherine Rothaar Fisher
December 2, 1923 – January 30, 2020
Katherine Rothaar Fisher, Fortified with the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick, passed away peacefully with her family at her side on Thursday, January 30, 2020.
Katherine was the loving mother of Lawrence (Denise Mummert) Fisher, Peter (Juliann) Fisher Hesed, and Thomas (Katharine Calhoun) Fisher; dear grandmother of Phoenix Fisher, Shannon (Allen) Stephens, Mara (Matt Ford) Hesed, Adam (Jessica Douglass) Hesed, Felicity (Andrew) HunzekerHesed, Katherine Hesed, and Andrew (Natalie) Hesed, Genevieve (Gunter Herd) Fisher and Gregory (Kara) Fisher; great-grandmother of Leia Stephens, Quinn and Flannery Ford, Giovanni and Luciano HunzekerHesed, and Chloe and Ruth Hesed.
Katherine was born in Queens, New York on December 2, 1923 to August Henry Rothaar and Katherine Moran Rothaar, younger sister to Dolores Theresa Rothaar. She worked for the United States Forest Service and raised her three sons in Atlanta, Georgia. She found the time to volunteer for various church, community, and charitable organizations, including Notre Dame Bookstore and Society of St. Vincent de Paul, and making robes for the monks at the Monastery of The Holy Spirit. In retirement, she followed her passion for chocolate by working for Maggie Lyons Chocolatiers.
In 2010, Katherine was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She remained in Atlanta, and continued to care for her sister at home until Dolores' passing, while she herself was being cared for by her sons Tom and Larry. When her Alzheimer's required fulltime care, she moved to St. Louis to live with her son, Peter.
Katherine was full of life, a hard worker, who loved laughing and getting together with family and friends. She enjoyed good food, a funny movie, travelling, going to the theatre, and a good hand of Bridge. She was instrumental in her sons' love for music.
Above all, everything that is good and decent in her sons they attribute to her.
Visitation will be Monday, February 3, from 9 until 10am at Saint Margaret of Scotland Catholic Church, 3854 Flad Avenue at 39th Street, with a Funeral Mass celebrated at 10am. Interment in Sandy Springs Georgia at Arlington Memorial Park.
Please leave a favorite memory of Katherine for her family to cherish at the "Add a Memory" link below.
- August Henry Rothaar, Father (deceased)
- Katherine Moran Rothaar, Mother (deceased)
- Lawrence Fisher (Denise Mummert), Son
- Peter Hesed (Juliann), Son
- Thomas Fisher (Katharine Calhoun), Son
- Phoenix Fisher, Granddaughter
- Shannon Stephens (Allen), Granddaughter
- Mara Hesed (Matt Ford), Granddaughter
- Adam Hesed (Jessica Douglass), Grandson
- Felicity HunzekerHesed (Andrew), Granddaughter
- Katherine Hesed, Granddaughter
- Andrew Hesed (Natalie), Grandson
- Genevieve Fisher (Gunter Herd), Granddaughter
- Gregory Fisher (Kara), Grandson
- Leia Stephens, Great-granddaughter
- Quinn Ford, Great Grandson
- Flannery Ford, Great Granddaughter
- Giovanni HunzekerHesed, Great Grandson
- Luciano HunzekerHesed, Great Grandson
- Chloe Hesed, Great Granddaughter
- Ruth Hesed, Great Granddaughter
- Visitation Monday, February 3, 2020
- Funeral Mass Monday, February 3, 2020
- Rite of Committal Thursday, February 6, 2020