Margaret Ward O'Shea
February 2, 1920 – November 3, 2019
The Obituary of Margaret Ward O'Shea
Nourished by the Sacraments of Holy Mother Church, Margaret Ward O'Shea passed into eternal life on November 3, 2019. Born in 1920, Margaret along with her twin brother Bill, was the second youngest of eight children born in North St. Louis to Nettie Marie Jewett Ward and Joseph Ward, Jr, the owner of Ward Painting Company, a respected long-time business in St. Louis. Margaret was preceded in death by her parents and seven brothers and sisters and by her beloved husband, Thomas James O'Shea. A graduate of Loretto Academy and Webster College, her love for literature found expression in her poetry as well as in her work as co-editor of Webster's Literary Magazine. Margaret married the USMCR future officer Tom O'Shea in August of 1942, and they spent three months in San Diego during his training until Tom shipped out to combat in the South Pacific. In 1950, the young couple and their three children moved to Weldon Springs Heights where the last four children were born. For many years, Margaret worked for Washington University School of Medicine, first in the Department of Anatomy and later in the Department of Ophthalmology, where she served as secretary to the head of the department, Dr. Morton Smith. She eventually became Director of the St. Louis Eye Bank. After her retirement from Washington University, Margaret worked for the St. Louis Society for the Blind for 18 years.
However, her proudest accomplishment was her family. She was the loving mother of seven children and their spouses, along with 16 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren. She is survived by her children, Marian and husband Michael Wernicke; Daniel and wife JoAnn O'Shea; Katherine, widow of Paul Woodin; Ellen and husband Michael Kessler; Timothy and wife Diane O'Shea; Mary Grace and husband Peter Kaufman; and Matthew and wife Kathleen O'Shea. She was a wonderful, thoughtful grandmother to her grandchildren: Kevin O'Shea, Erin and husband Jeff Shaw, Meaghan and husband Shawn Brezzell, Morgan and husband Mario Dawkins; Erica Woodin and husband Chuck Frank, John Woodin and wife Jennifer; Kristin and husband Max Benitez, Tim Wernicke, John Wernicke; Ryan O'Shea and wife Angela, Michael O'Shea and wife Jenna, and Tim O'Shea and wife Megan; Mary Margaret and husband Josh Coffey, Emma and husband Baer Lederman; Devin O'Shea and Ellen Margaret O'Shea. Margaret found great delight until the end in her seventeen great-grandchildren. She is also survived by many loving nieces and nephews.
The family is grateful to all the staff at Stonecrest at Claytonview, as well as to her caregivers from AccuCare, PHC, especially Molly McAvin and Carmaletha Harris. We are especially grateful to the nurses and staff at Seasons Hospice for their loving patient care of our mother.
Visitation will be Wednesday, November 6 from 9-10am at Cure' of Ars Catholic Church 670 South Laclede Station Rd., 63119, followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 10am. Burial will be at Calvary Cemetery. Donations in Margaret's memory may be sent to the Missionaries of Charity, 3629 Cottage Avenue St. Louis, 63113, or to Webster University Alumni Association.
- Joseph A. Ward Jr., Father (deceased)
- Nettie Marie (nee' Jewett) Ward, Mother (deceased)
- Thomas James O'Shea, Husband (deceased)
- Marian (Michael) Wernicke, Daughter
- Daniel (JoAnn) O'Shea, Son
- Katherine (the late Paul) Woodin, Daughter
- Ellen ((Michael) Kessler, Daughter
- Timothy (Diane) O'Shea, Son
- Mary Grace (Peter) Kaufman, Daughter
- Matthew (Kathleen) O'Shea, Son
- Kevin O'Shea, Grandson
- Erin (Jeff) Shaw, Granddaughter
- Meaghan (Shawn) Brezzell, Granddaughter
- Morgan (Mario) Dawkins, Granddaughter
- Erica (Chuck Frank) Woodin, Granddaughter
- John (Jennifer) Woodin, Grandson
- Kristin (Max) Benitez, Granddaughter
- Tim Wernicke, Grandson
- John Wernicke, Grandson
- Ryan (Angela) O'Shea, Grandson
- Michael (Jenna) O'Shea, Grandson
- Tim (Megan) O'Shea, Grandson
- Mary Margaret (Josh) Coffey, Granddaughter
- Emma (Baer) Lederman, Granddaughter
- Devin O'Shea, Grandson
- Ellen Margaret O'Shea, Granddaughter
- She found great delight in her 17 great-grandchildren. She is also survived by many loving nieces and nephews.
Missionaries of Charity
3629 Cottage Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63113
- Webster University Alumni Association
- Visitation Wednesday, November 6, 2019
- Mass of Christian Burial Wednesday, November 6, 2019
- Rite Of Committal Wednesday, November 6, 2019
Margaret Ward O'Shea
November 5, 2019
Aunt Margie and my Dad are once again together. Kim and I are so sorry for your loss and ours. We take comfort that Margie is now with her brothers and sisters.
William and Kim Ward Jr.
November 5, 2019
November 4, 2019
I always remember what a kind and thoughtful person she was. She always took time to ask about others and was interested in what and how everyone in my family was doing. I will miss seeing her at the reunion but have fond memories of her kind and gentle spirit!