Byron Lawrence Tolar
February 3, 1934 – February 25, 2018
Byron Lawrence Tolar, the strongest branch of beautiful family tree, fell on February 25, 2018 and was lifted to heaven. Byron, a retired petroleum geologist and long-time resident of Tyler died peacefully, sleeping in his favorite chair, at the age of 84.
Byron is survived by his loving wife Julia Ann Sledd Tolar. Byron met Julia at the Marvin United Methodist Church in Tyler where he was President of the Single Young Adults Sunday School Class. He frequently described their meeting as the luckiest day of his life. They were married on June 12, 1965 and celebrated 53 years of life together as one.
His strong branch grew with six children, Tom Cook, David Cook, Steven Cook, Nancy Maples, Michael Tolar and Linda Tolar and their five spouses, Judi Cook, Cindy Cook, Dixie Cook, Steve Maples and Susan Tolar. His children added more branches to the family tree with eight grandchildren, Becky Leach, Cameron Cook, Christopher Maples, Katherine Maples, Katie Cockerham, Garrett Tolar, Matthew Cook and Grace Tolar and their four spouses, Jeff Leach, Lauren Cook, Erin Maples, Trent Cockerham and eight adorable great-grandchildren and three great nephews.
Byron was born on February 3, 1934 in Hutchinson, Kansas to Ralph Howard Tolar and Allie (Alice) Mae Odam. He is survived by his brother Robert Howard Tolar, sister-in-law Joan and nephews Don and Dwight.
Byron graduated from Kansas State in 1956 with a degree in Petroleum Geology and worked forty-one years as a lead geologist for Texaco, Kerr McGee, Prairie Production and Unocal. Outside of geology, his favorite times were spent during extensive travels with Julia, bowling, playing bridge, watching college football and activities surrounded by his large family.
Byron was a devoted member of his church. He was a spiritual man who was involved in many church activities and supported Meals- On-Wheels and Path. He referred to himself as “A Very Fortunate Man.” He will be deeply missed by all who knew him.
Visitation is scheduled for 5-7 pm on Friday, March 2, 2018 at Lloyd James Funeral Home. Funeral service will follow on Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 11:00am in the Lloyd James Funeral Home Chapel, officiated by Dr. Doug Baker, Senior Pastor at the Marvin United Methodist Church.
Burial will be in Rose Hill Cemetery.
Byron's Final Quote: "Let It Be Said, He Tried"
- Ralph Howard Tolar, Father
- Allie (Alice) Mae Odam Tolar, Mother
- Julia Ann Sledd Tolar, Wife of 53 years
- Nancy Maples and husband Steve, Daughter
- Linda Tolar, Daughter
- Tom Cook and wife Judi, Son
- David Cook and wife Cindy, Son
- Steven Cook and wife Dixie, Son
- Michael Tolar and wife Susan, Son
- Robert Howard Tolar and wife Joan, Brother
- Don Tolar, Nephew
- Dwight Tolar, Nephew
- Becky Leach and husband Jeff, Granddaughter
- Katie Cockerham and husband Trent, Granddaughter
- Katherine Maples, Granddaughter
- Grace Tolar, Granddaughter
- Cameron Cook and wife Lauren, Grandson
- Christopher Maples and wife Erin, Grandson
- Garrett Tolar, Grandson
- Matthew Cook, Grandson
- He is also survived by eight great-grandchildren and three great nephews.
- Christopher Maples
- Garrett Tolar
- Cameron Cook
- Jeff Leach
- Trent Cockerham
- Don Tolar
- Steve Maples
- Visitation Friday, March 2, 2018
- Funeral Service Saturday, March 3, 2018
Byron Lawrence Tolar
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES