Henry Barnes Talbott, Sr.
June 16, 1924 – June 4, 2018
What a homecoming in heaven on June 4, 2018 when Henry went to be with Jesus. He was born on June 16, 1924 in Megargel, Texas to Levi and Irene Talbott.
He leaves behind his children , Henry Jr., Wilma, Claudia (Bob) , JoAnna (Doug), six grandchildren, ten great-grandchildren; sister Elizabeth, brother Tommy (Pat).
Henry never met a stranger. Everywhere He went he would find someone that he had common ground with. He surrendered to the ministry in the mid 1940s and attended Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft Worth. Henry served as Music and Education minister as well as Pastor to several Baptist churches across the state of Texas. He served on the staff at Harmony Baptist in Ft Worth, Temple Baptist in Arlington, Texas, Emanuel Baptist in Waco and Riverside Baptist in Ft Worth. Henry moved to San Antonio in 1957 to serve as Educational Director of the San Antonio Baptist Association. He was Chaplin of the South Texas Gospel Music Association. After several years he took a public relations position with Roy Akers Funeral Chapels where he managed all of Mr. Akers philanthropic endeavors along with The Singing Hills Ranch encampment which Mr. Akers provided for all church activities. Upon Roy Akers death, Henry served as pastor for Southside Baptist in San Antonio. He would ultimately retire from pastoring the First Baptist Church in Leon Springs. He served on the committee that brought the Billy Graham Hemisfair Crusade to San Antonio in 1968. Henry organized and participated in mission trips to Jamaica, Guatemala and the San Blas Islands. For many years Bro. Henry, as he was known to all, was the organizer and host of the Old Fashioned Sunday Night Singing which was held on the fifth Sunday of a month in churches all across the city. In retirement Henry worked with the staff at Colonial Funeral Home as minister on call for whatever was needed. Henry’s life was defined by his love for Jesus and his devotion to family and friends. One indication that he was filled with the Holy Spirit was his desire to sing and praise God with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. He was the creator and host of Music For Everyone which aired on KDRY radio for over 25 years.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Television Ministry of First Baptist Church San Antonio.
The family will receive guests on Wednesday June 20 from 5 to 8 P.M. at Colonial Funeral Home. Funeral services will be Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 2:30 P.M. at First Baptist Church – Wilson Chapel, San Antonio, Texas. Graveside services and interment with military honors will be Friday, June 22, 2018 at 1:00 P.M. at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery. The family would like to express appreciation to the staff of Kindred Hospice for their exceptional care in the last weeks of Henry's earthly life. We were also blessed by the tender and loving care of his devoted nurse Jim Slone over the past year. We were so richly blessed by the presence of our own angel in the person of Paul Culp. He was so faithful in visiting often, providing transportation to Sunday School, church services and the all important barber shop. We love you Paul! Last but certainly not least our love and appreciation to Hardy at Colonial for assisting us and caring so much for dad. Please sign the guestbook at www. colonialuniversal.com
- He leaves behind his children , Henry Jr., Wilma, Claudia (Bob) , JoAnna (Doug), six grandchildren, ten great-grandchildren; sister Elizabeth, brother Tommy (Pat).
- the Television Ministry of First Baptist Church, San Antonio, Texas.---"Blessed (happy, to be envied) are the dead who die in the Lord..they will rest from their labor" Revelation 14:13-14. The Bible makes it clear there is life after death. We were all created for eternity. This life is a prelude to the life to come. Henry is at rest. All the tensions, pain and heartaches of his earthly existence are behind him. He has arrived at his eternal destination. He is home in that mansion over the hilltop. God speaks through all things good and beautiful, but nowhere is his voice more sweetly heard than in the love shared between parent and child.
- Visitation Wednesday, June 20, 2018
- Funeral Service Thursday, June 21, 2018
- Interment Friday, June 22, 2018
- Interment Friday, June 22, 2018