July 8, 1938 – February 7, 2019
John Gordon Carroll Sr. was born July 8, 1938 to Vivan Franklin and Evelyn Eileen Wilson Carroll.
He was the 4th of five children. He married Sharon Kay Jackson on October 10, 1959 in Lakewood Colorado. They were later sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on July 6, 1965.
He was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and had the opportunity to serve in many callings over the years. His most enjoyable callings include Serving as a Jordan River Temple Worker for seven years, a two year Guest Service Missionary at the Conference Center, High Priest Group Leader, and teaching/ministering to those around him. He was always looking for opportunities to serve others. John loved working with people. The highlights of his career include leading people in retail and hotel management, real-estate and owning his own businesses.
In 1997 he moved to Utah to be closer to his family. He was adventurous and loved life. His fondest memories always involved family. He loved warm weather vacations in places like Cancun, Hawaii, Lake Powell, Lake Havasu and Yellowstone in the summer. This past year for his birthday he had the opportunity to travel to multiple church historical sites and visited Niagara Falls.
He was “full of mashuki” which often got him into trouble leaving grandchildren no choice but to put him into “time out”.
John is survived by his wife, Sharon Kay Jackson, daughter Lori (Kevin) Nielson, sons John (Sonja) Carroll and Brian (Mindy) Carroll, 12 grandchildren: Kristie (Tyler) Holt, Cody (Lauren) Nielson, Heidi (Lucas) Wilkerson, Jonni (David) Bonnet, Emmy (Connor) Burn, Meggan Bass, Zac Carroll, Joey Carroll, Allison Carroll, Abby Carroll, Jason Carroll, Zander Carroll and seven great grandchildren, Jackson, Lizzie, Anistyn, Dawson, Sage, Aspen, Brighton, and Grayson as well as his brother James (Linda) Carroll. He was preceded in death by his parents and siblings Frances Matz, Richard Carroll and Donald Carroll.
Viewing Monday, February 11th 6-8:00 PM at Valley View Funeral Home, 4335 West 4100 South. Funeral Services Tuesday, February 12th beginning at 11:00 AM at the Bennion 19th Ward, 6250 South 2200 West, Taylorsville, UT with a viewing one hour prior to the service.
The family wishes to extend a special thank you to all of his friends and family who brightened his days with many visits, cards and phone calls. Thank you to his new friends from Brighton Hospice for their tender love and care.
- Sharon Kay Carroll, Wife
- Lori(Kevin) Neilson, Daughter
- John(Sonja) Caroll, Son
- Brian(Mindy) Caroll, Son
- 12 grandchildren: Kristie (Tyler) Holt, Cody (Lauren) Nielson, Heidi (Lucas) Wilkerson, Jonni (David) Bonnet, Emmy (Connor) Burn, Meggan Bass, Zac Carroll, Joey Carroll, Allison Carroll, Abby Carroll, Jason Carroll, Zander Carroll and seven great grandchildren, Jackson, Lizzie, Anistyn, Dawson, Sage, Aspen, Brighton, and Grayson as well as his brother James (Linda) Carroll. He was preceded in death by his parents and siblings Frances Matz, Richard Carroll and Donald Carroll.
- Cody Nielson, Pallbearer
- Tyler Holt, Pallbearer
- Jackson Holt, Pallbearer
- Jeff Caroll, Pallbearer
- Joey Carroll, Pallbearer
- David Bonnett, Pallbearer
- Lucas Wilkerson, Pallbearer
- Zac Carroll, Honorary Pallbearer
- Brighton Wilkerson, Honorary Pallbearer
- Dawson Nielson, Honorary Pallbearer
- Zander Carroll, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jason Carroll, Honorary Pallbearer
- Connor Burn, Honorary Pallbearer
- Viewing Monday, February 11, 2019
- Viewing Tuesday, February 12, 2019
- Funeral Service Tuesday, February 12, 2019
February 10, 2019
John was our home teacher for years when I was young. Always a kind word and a warm heart. Loved seeing him smile. He will be missed. My heart goes out to Sharon, Lori, John and Brian. May our Heavenly Father wrap his loving arms around you all right now. I pray for comfort for all his family and friends at this time. I’m so sorry!
February 9, 2019
Brother John what a great brother you are and no words can express all you have done for us but know how much you are loved and will be missed by us and your loving family and friends..... Thank you for a beautiful life and my you rest in peace with family members waiting for you now.... LOVE YOU BROTHER JOHN