Ellis Cecil Smith
January 3, 1927 – October 17, 2019
Mr. Ellis Cecil Smith, 92, of LaGrange, GA passed away peacefully Thursday, October 17, 2019 at his home.
Mr. Smith was born January 3, 1927 in Chipley, GA, son of the late Jesse Butler Smith and Mary Hagler Smith. He attended the University of Georgia until he was drafted into the U.S. Army Air Corps. He was a WWII veteran and a member of the "Greatest Generation". One of his favorite memories was taking the Honor Flight to Washington, D.C. Mr. Smith spent 35 years as a dairy farmer and still owns a 135-acre farm with cows and donkeys. He served as the President of the Troup County Cattleman Association and President of the Farmers Mutual Exchange Board of Directors. He was a Founder of LaGrange Academy.
He was employed as the Troup County Tax Commissioner for 22 years (1979-2001) before retiring. Mr. Smith was a member of the LaGrange Rotary Club, joining as the only member with classification "farmer" in 1965. He was Vice President 1981-1982 and President 1982-1983. During his 54 years in Rotary, he received the distinguished recognitions of the Walter Murphy Fellow, Paul Harris Fellow, the oldest active member, and the longest tenured member.
Mr. Smith was a faithful member of LaGrange First United Methodist Church since 1955. Until recently, he was a very active member of the Men's Bible Class and served as the class treasurer.
Mr. Smith and his wife loved antiquing and traveling. He loved time with his wife, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren and didn't miss an opportunity to be doing for them or with them.
In addition to his parents, Mr. Smith was preceded in death by his wife of 72 years, Jean Caudle Smith.
He is survived by his daughter, Lesia Smith Mikell; son, Ellis Caudle Smith, both of LaGrange, GA; 4 grandchildren, Laura Leigh (Matt) French of LaGrange, GA, Quint (Ryan) Andrews of Atlanta, GA, Anna Jane (Kraig) Streetman of Atlanta, GA, and Ellis Caudle Smith, Jr. of Atlanta, GA; and 7 great grandchildren, Catherine Claire French, Blake French, Ashley Anne French, Davis Andrews, Addie Andrews, Smith Streetman, and Molly Streetman.
Celebration of Life service will be held at 11:00 A.M. Monday, October 21, 2019 at First United Methodist Church of LaGrange with The Rev. Dr. Gil Watson, The Rev. Dr. John Beyers, and Rev. Ben Wills officiating. Burial will follow in Shadowlawn Cemetery. The gathering of family and friends will be on Sunday from 4:30 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. at Striffler-Hamby Mortuary.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (www.stjude.org) or Samaritan’s Purse (www.samaritanspurse.org) in memory of Mr. Ellis Cecil Smith.
Those wishing to share a condolence or remembrance with the family may do so by visiting www.shlagrange.com.
Arrangements are by Striffler-Hamby Mortuary, 1010 Mooty Bridge Road, LaGrange, GA 30240 (706) 884-8636
- Jean Caudle Smith, Wife (deceased)
- Lesia Mikell, Daughter
- Ellis Caudle Smith, Son
- Laura Leigh (Matt) French, Grandchild
- Quint (Ryan) Andrews, Grandchild
- Anna Jane (Kraig) Streetman, Grandchild
- Ellis Caudle Smith Jr., Grandchild
- Catherine Claire French, Great Grandchild
- Blake French, Great Grandchild
- Ashley Anne French, Great Grandchild
- Davis Andrews, Great Grandchild
- Addie Andrews, Great Grandchild
- Smith Streetman, Great Grandchild
- Molly Streetman, Great Grandchild
- Matt Oubre, Active Pallbearer
- Phil Rogers, Active Pallbearer
- Mike Dobbs, Active Pallbearer
- Shane Frailey, Active Pallbearer
- Chris Cleveland, Active Pallbearer
- Tom Pirkle, Active Pallbearer
- Hank Hughes, Active Pallbearer
- Bubba Oubre, Active Pallbearer
- George Arrington, Honorary Pallbearer
- Walter Alexander, Honorary Pallbearer
- Gathering of Family and Friends Sunday, October 20, 2019
- Celebration of Life Service Monday, October 21, 2019
Ellis Cecil Smith
October 19, 2019
I remember Mr. Smith so well. Always kind and helpful. Praying you will find comfort in God’s ever gentle presence and in the thoughts and prayers of those who share your sorrow.
Hilda Blair Railey