Mary L. Miller
December 20, 1926 – March 17, 2021
Mary Louise Miller passed away March 17, 2021, in Newburgh Indiana. She was born December 20, 1926 to Albert and Tola Hollister, in McLaughlin South Dakota. One of six daughters, the family later moved to Mobridge South Dakota, then Omaha Nebraska, where Mary graduated from Omaha Technical High School in 1945.
She met Lawrence Duane (Larry) Miller in Colorado Springs, Colorado at the Sears & Roebuck store where they both were employed. They were married on September 25, 1946, only six seeks after meeting. Throughout their 73 years of marriage, Larry explained their whirlwind courtship as “Love at first sight!” He would add, “She was the prettiest of the six Hollister sisters.”
Moving from Colorado, the Miller family lived in the Chicago area, South Bend Indiana, and St. Louis Missouri prior to settling in Newburgh in 1977.
Mary’s easy smile and infectious humor attracted countless friends throughout her life. Mary had the ability to captivate those around her with the world’s best stories! Later in life, she admitted with a laugh “Well, MOST of my stories are true!”
She was an avid sports fan (Go Cubs!), loved bowling, playing tennis, and the card club that she and Larry belonged to for over 20 years. Four children, 7 grandchildren, 13 great grandchildren and a great great granddaughter were Mary’s constant joy and the light of her life.
Mary and Larry cherished their many years of membership in the Evansville Bethlehem United Church of Christ and the many close friendships established there.
Along with her parents, she was sadly preceded in death by her husband in 2019, daughter-in-law Diane Miller, son-in-law David Estep and sisters Ruth Livingston, Beulah Enfield, Ida Seaton, Doris June Fuller and Mabel Parise.
Loving her still are her daughters Lari Aynne Estep, June (Joe Neth) Miller, and Jane (Amie) Miller; son, Mark Miller (Barb Flynn); grandchildren Todd (Jackie) Turnock, Kerri (Mike) Mattern, Erik Estep, Britton Estep, Erin (Adam) Shaffer, Kate (Jared) Young, and Hana Miller; great grandchildren Jordan, Alexandra and Addison Turnock, Lucas, Lindsey, Elizabeth and Elias Mattern, Eva, Marie, Jane and Abram Shaffer, and Jackson and Mike Young; and great great granddaughter Jordy Turnock; along with sister-in-law Helen Baumgardner and nephews and nieces.
The Miller siblings extend their deepest gratitude to Dr. William Hardesty who provided his medical expertise for many years along with his genuine caring and compassion for our mother. Sincere thanks also go to the staff of Hamilton Pointe Assisted Living and Heart to Heart Hospice for their tireless care.
A memorial service celebrating Mary Miller’s life will be held at Bethlehem United Church of Christ, 6400 Oakhill Rd., Evansville, Indiana,led by Reverend Emily Slade. The date for the service is pending.
In honor of Mary, please consider a gift to Bethlehem United Church of Christ or the charity of your choice.
- Lari Aynne Estep, Daughter
- June Miller (Joe Neth), Daughter
- Jane Miller (Amie), Daughter
- Mark Miller (Barb Flynn), Son
- Todd Turnock (Jackie), Grandchild
- Kerri Mattern (Mike), Grandchild
- Erik Estep, Grandchild
- Britton Estep, Grandchild
- Erin Shaffer (Adam), Grandchild
- Kate Young (Jared), Grandchild
- Hana Miller, Grandchild
- Jordan Turnock, Great Grandchild
- Alexandra Turnock, Great Grandchild
- Addison Turnock, Great Grandchild
- Lucas Mattern, Great Grandchild
- Lindsey Mattern, Great Grandchild
- Elizabeth Mattern, Great Grandchild
- Elias Mattern, Great Grandchild
- Eva Shaffer, Great Grandchild
- Marie Shaffer, Great Grandchild
- Jane Shaffer, Great Grandchild
- Abram Shaffer, Great Grandchild
- Jackson Young, Great Grandchild
- Mike Young, Great Grandchild
- Jordy Turnock, Great Great Grandchild
- Helen Baumgardner, Sister-in-law
- Lawrence (Larry) Duane Miller, Husband (deceased)
- Albert Hollister, Father (deceased)
- Tola (Bentley) Hollister, Mother (deceased)
- Diane Miller, Daughter-in-law (deceased)
- David Estep, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Ruth Livingston, Sister (deceased)
- Beulah Enfield, Sister (deceased)
- Ida Seaton, Sister (deceased)
- Doris June Fuller, Sister (deceased)
- Mabel Parise, Sister (deceased)
- Mary also leaves behind many nieces and nephews to cherish her memory.
Saturday, May 22, 2021
Mary L. Miller
March 28, 2021
I met Mary when she came to visit Tola, her mom, where I worked as hairdresser for the nursing home residents. Mary and Tola are both favorites of mine among the many interesting people I’ve met in life.
Mary often took Tola out for ice cream and enjoyed their treat together while watching the Ohio River flow by at Newburgh. Mary confided in me that after Tola’s death, and missing her, she would sometimes take Tola’s ashes along in the car while she enjoyed an ice cream at the river. Knowing both Mary and Tola as I did, it sounds perfectly logical and delightful to me! I am blessed having known this intrepid daughter and mother duo. I have certainly missed seeing Mary the last few years and now dearly wish I had taken the time to laugh with her more often.