Beverly Virginia (Orebaugh) Garber
June 28, 1922 – January 13, 2019
Beverly Virginia Orebaugh Garber, 96, of Harrisonburg, answered her roll call to heaven from her home surrounded by her family on Sunday, January 13, 2019.
She was born June 28, 1922 on Liberty Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia, and was the daughter of the late Gaylon B. and Grace Wheelbarger Orebaugh.
During her senior year of Harrisonburg High School she worked at Harrisonburg-Rockingham Chamber of Commerce. After graduation she worked as a private secretary of the Arbiter of C. W. Railway.
On August 30, 1941 she married Robert E. Garber at United Brethren Church. They were happily married for 68 years. He died on June 10, 2007.
Throughout their 22 year Air Force career spanning 17 countries, they built a fruitful ministry that led many to salvation in Christ. For 35 years they broadcast the gospel through five radio stations. It was a full and blessed life.
In August 1963, they retired from the Air Force in California, returning to pastor Faith Tabernacle, which they founded in 1953.
In 1975, the Garbers began a successful Shaklee business which continued for 43 years.
Beverly was a published writer, authoring the book “Journaling –Here and There, Now and Then”. She is listed in “Who’s Who in America” as a writer and business owner.
Beverly is survived by two sons, Robert E. Garber, Jr. and wife, Nancy, and Daniel Arthur Garber and wife, Renee, all of Harrisonburg; two daughters, Shirley Furlough and husband, Dr. Robert, of Tallahassee, FL and Beckie (Shoemaker) Garber and life partner, Brian Willi of Harrisonburg; eight grandchildren who lovingly called her “Meme”, Dana Lackey and husband Dub of Burkburnett, TX, Robbie Garber and wife, Tamara, of Stephenville, TX, LaVonda Till and husband, John, of Atlanta, GA, Andrea Spratt and husband, Trey, of Tallahassee, FL, Jeremy Garber and wife, Meredith of Harrisonburg, Danelle Cross and husband, Matt, of Elkton, Shawna Cross and husband, Phillip, of Harrisonburg, Chayson Shoemaker and wife, Mychaelle, of Harrisonburg.
Meme was blessed with 11 great-grandchildren.
In addition to her husband and parents she was preceded in death by her only sibling, Doris Jean Orebaugh Garber.
A special “Thank you” to Lamar Harrison, her in-home health care Nurse for the past six months, whom lovingly cared and went above and beyond.
A funeral service will be held 2 pm, today (Tuesday, January 15, 2019) at Harrisonburg Gospel Assembly Church, 622 Roosevelt St., Harrisonburg, VA 22801, with Pastor Dan Garber officiating. Burial will follow at Clover Hill Cemetery.
The family will receive friends one hour prior to the service.
Lindsey Funeral Home in Harrisonburg is handling arrangements. Condolences may be sent to the family by visiting www.lindseyharrisonburg.com.
- Robert E. Garber, Jr., Son
- Nancy Garber, Daughter-in-law
- Daniel Arthur Garber, Son
- Renee Garber, Daughter-in-law
- Shirley Furlough, Daughter
- Dr. Robert Furlough, Son-in-law
- Beckie (Shoemaker) Garber, Daughter
- Brian Willi, Beckie's Life Partner
- Dana Lackey & husband, Dub, Grandchild
- Robbie Garber & wife, Tamara, Grandchild
- LaVonda Till & husband, John, Grandchild
- Andrea Spratt & husband, Trey, Grandchild
- Jeremy Garber & wife, Meredith, Grandchild
- Danelle Cross & husband, Matt, Grandchild
- Shawna Cross & husband, Phillip, Grandchild
- Chayson Shoemaker & wife, Mychaelle, Grandchild
- Eleven -, Great-Grandchildren
- Robert E. Garber, Sr., Husband
- Grace Wheelbarger Orebaugh, Mother
- Gaylon B. Orebaugh, Father
- Doris Jean Orebaugh Garber, Sister
- Robbie Garber
- Jeremy Garber
- Chayson Shoemaker
- Hezekiah Cross
- Josiah Cross
- Brian Willi
- Matt Cross
- Visitation Tuesday, January 15, 2019
- Funeral Service Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Beverly Virginia (Orebaugh) Garber
January 17, 2019
The Garber Family:
We know you will miss your loved one but we also know that you are at peace with her passing. She is now part of your future! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Lyle & Diana Kiser