Roy Bryan Mathews
June 21, 1925 – June 30, 2018
Services for Roy Mathews, 93, of Bangs will be held Monday, July 2, 2018 at 10 a.m. the Bangs Church of Christ with Johnny Seymore officiating. The family will receive friends from 2-4 pm Sunday at Davis-Morris Funeral Home. Mr. Mathews passed away Saturday, June 30, 2018.
Roy Bryan Mathews was born into the loving home of Hollis and Hattie Mathews on June 21, 1925 in Bangs, Texas. The home also included one sister, Muriel; three brothers, H. R., Hugh Jackson and Millard; and a very special Granny, Jenny Romines.
Roy grew up in Bangs and attended school and graduated there. He proudly served his country in World War II as a part of the U. S. Navy and completed training to become a medic. His time in combat was spent with the 6th Marine Division, 29th Marines and a medic in Okinawa the day it was invaded. He received a Silver Star for bravery. After returning to Bangs, he married Edna Taylor. They had 48 wonderful years together; and she preceded him in death in 1995.
He attended college and obtained his Masters of Science in biology and education. His career included teacher and principal at Santa Anna, Texas and later a junior high science teacher in Monahans, Texas.
From their love was born one daughter, Melody. Melody gave him the greatest gift in his life – his grandson, Tim Mathews.
Roy completed his working years as a junior high science teacher in Monahans, and the family returned to Bangs in 1995. He enjoyed all his old acquaintances and making many new friends.
He is survived by his daughter, Melody, her husband and his loving caregiver Bill Edwards, grandson, Tim Mathews, step-grandson, Billy Edwards; a very special nephew and niece, Johnny and Daphna Seymore, whom he loved as his own children. He is also survived by many others nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews, ex-students and friends.
Online memorials can be left at www.davismorrisfuneralhome.com
- He is survived by his daughter, Melody, her husband and his loving caregiver Bill Edwards, grandson, Tim Mathews, step-grandson, Billy Edwards; a very special nephew and niece, Johnny and Daphna Seymore, whom he loved as his own children. He is also survived by many others nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews, ex-students and friends.
- Billy Edwards, Active Pallbearer
- Mike Stephens, Active Pallbearer
- Mike Gwinn, Active Pallbearer
- Scott Grisham, Active Pallbearer
- Tim Mathews, Active Pallbearer
- Ben Carnes, Active Pallbearer
- Dustin Seymore, Honorary Pallbearer
- Reese Seymore, Honorary Pallbearer
- Hayden Gwinn, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jayden Grisham, Honorary Pallbearer
- Visitation Sunday, July 1, 2018
- Funeral Service Monday, July 2, 2018