Brown Mortuary Service in Chehalis, Washington, has provided funeral and cremation services to families in the Chehalis and surrounding Lewis County community since 1910. Conveniently located on North Market Boulevard outside of historic downtown Chehalis, Brown Mortuary is near Interstate 5 and offers ample parking.
- Piano/Organ on site
- Arrangements by phone and email
- Tribute video production
- Audio and video equipment
- In-home visitations
- Police escort available
- Option for home delivery of ashes
- Option for mail delivery of ashes
A Chehalis funeral home with a heart
Our compassionate and caring team at Brown Mortuary Service works tirelessly to meet the needs of Lewis County families. Our associates are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide guidance and understanding when a family has lost someone they love. We take great pride in our customer service and devote time to each family, making sure that no benefit has been overlooked.
We believe memorial displays are an important part of funeral services—they add a personal touch to the celebration of life. Our funeral home team can make recommendations for what to bring and help you with the display. Even after the funeral service, we are here to help with any new developments or questions you may have.
It is our privilege to serve Chehalis and Lewis County families. Please contact us if you would like more information about our funeral and cremation services, or get a tour of our funeral home.
Brown Mortuary began in 1910 and was originally named Fissell Funeral. It was located on the main floor of the I.O.O.F. Building on Prindle Avenue in Chehalis, Washington. In 1923, Mr. Fissell built a new building a block away from its original location on the corner of Market and Prindle streets. He also owned and operated a funeral home on Maine Street in Morton, Washington.
The Brown family
Willard and Anne Brown, and their partner, Arny Maddison, purchased the funeral homes from Mr. Fissell on March 1, 1952, and Arny Maddison sold his interest in the business to the Brown family in December of 1956. The name of the business was changed to Brown Mortuary, with chapels known as Fissell Chapel in Chehalis and Morton Chapel in Morton. In 1957, the Brown family bought the Boone Mortuary located across the street from Fissell Funeral’s original location on Prindle Street.
In 1965, the Brown family purchased land next to the Morton Cemetery, where they constructed a modern, full-service funeral home. The Brown family continued to operate both Chehalis locations until 1978 when Boone Mortuary was closed as a funeral home. Today, the former Boone Mortuary building is the annex and offices for the Westminster Presbyterian Church. Anne Brown ran both locations of Brown Mortuary after Willard’s death in 1986.
Brown Mortuary joins the Dignity Memorial network
As members of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation and cemetery providers, the teams at both Brown Mortuary locations continue the tradition set by our founders: compassionate, caring service for all families who come through our doors.